Thursday 3 November 2011

Representation


Representation
Representation has two different meanings and can each mean a different thing.
  • ·The action of speaking or acting on behalf of someone or the state of being represented.
  • ·The description or portrayal of someone or something in a particular way or as being of a certain nature.
Representation is how social groups, different subcultures, occupations, ages, social classes -and places are portrayed in the media and how the audiences interpret these portrayals.

There are two types of representation.
A Micro Analysis
This basically means what you think of something and whether it is a positive or negative thought.
When looking at micro analysis, you can ask yourself – what is actually trying to be shown? Or more directly, what is missing from the text?
You can also look at the normal ‘stereotypes’ and find if the characters themselves fit into a stereotype or whether they break or challenge that certain category.
We also looked at Media language – called Macro Analysis.
This brings in:-
- Your understanding of media.
- Your understanding of the camera
     -Angle
     -Distance
    -Position
    -Movement
    -Mise-en-Scene
-Editing
-Sounds
-Semiotics – whether it’s symbolic, iconic, and what it connotes and denotes.
This has helped me understand what I need to look for when I’m studying an opening title sequence or what I need to think about before I start to film with my group. It will help me understand more on what I need to look out for and write about when I go into the exam, as before I was unsure what kind of things an examiner would be looking for and now that I’ve done this lesson I know the basics on the exam paper. 

3 comments:

  1. Lucy I want you to come and tell me your understanding of representation and micro-analysis in a one - to - one session please

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, is there a certain time you would like to see me or should I come whenever?

    ReplyDelete
  3. whenever-always have time for you

    ReplyDelete